How to Prepare For a Massage
To make the most out of your massage experience, it’s always a good idea to prepare for your appointment by following a few simple steps to ensure both a therapeutic and relaxing session. While these are not mandatory, they may enhance your treatment.
1. Take a warm shower, as this will allow your body and muscles to relax while increasing blood flow.
2. Avoid lotions, as your massage therapist will likely be using oils. Also, skip the heavy perfumes as it may interfere if you having any aromatherapy treatment.
3. Wear comfortable clothing and leave your jewelry at home if possible. A good idea is to wear what you would normally wear to a gym. Once your massage is over, it’s much more appealing to slip back into clothes that allow you to continue relaxing. It’s not fun to put on a pair of high heels after a relaxing massage session!
4. Eat a small snack or meal prior to your appointment while avoiding anything heavy or rich, as it can be uncomfortable to lie on a table with a full stomach.
5. Drink less caffeine and instead concentrate on a cup of warm herbal tea prior to your appointment. The last thing you want is to be jittery during your massage as the emphasis is to enjoy a relaxing and restful treatment.
6. Start your appointment by arriving a few minutes early. Often, you will be asked to fill out information (if it’s your first visit), and you may need time to use the restroom and relax prior to the start of your session. Turn off your cell phone!
7. Before your massage begins, make sure to talk to your therapist about any concerns, aches or pains that you may be experiencing. Again, never be afraid to speak up if the pressure is uncomfortable, or if the room is too hot or too cold.
8. Bring a make-up kit, including a hairbrush to freshen up after your appointment. You hair may be somewhat messy if you have had a scalp massage.
Whether you are a seasoned client at receiving a massage, or preparing for your first treatment, the key is to walk into the room in a state of relaxation and calm if at all possible. Try not to schedule anything important immediately before or after your session so you can reap the full benefits of a therapeutic massage.