Preventing a Sedentary Lifestyle at Work
You may recall earlier a post about the dangers of having a desk job. Since it is probably not feasible for you to go out and quit your job, there are some alternatives. While your health is important, so is working. After all, work pays the bills! Here are some things you can do to help make your desk job less sedentary:
- Replace your desk chair with an exercise ball. This can help you to reduce back pain while strengthening your core muscles. Not to mention, an exercise ball can be a fun alternative to your desk chair.
- Take a few minutes out of your day to stretch each time you begin to feel achy and sore. This can make a world of difference.
- Use your lunch break wisely. Step away from your computer (working while eating can lead to weight gain) and take a walk to get a healthy meal from a local restaurant or the cafeteria.
- Make phone time be a time to get in some exercise. Get up and walk around your cubicle while taking a phone call or do some squats or lunges.
- Get up and talk to your co-workers instead of making phone calls or sending e-mails.
- Encourage walking meetings. If you need to have a discussion with a co-worker or manager, do it while on a walk.
- Use the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Take advantage of company wellness programs.
- Be sure to dedicate time outside of work to fitness. This can help to counteract the negative effects that occur as the result of sitting at your desk all day long.