5 Ways to Become a Healthier Family
Whether you are living with your parents or have kids of your own, or even if you are just starting out, being a healthy family is important. As a healthy family, you’ll be setting a great example for your children or even your spouse. By making healthy choices when it comes to diet and exercise, your family will lead a healthier and happier lifestyle.
- Make time for outdoor activities. No matter what the season, you can make time for outdoor activities. Set one day aside each week to engage in an outdoor activity as a family. These activities may include sledding, skiing, walking, hiking, swimming or bicycling. In the spring, summer and even early fall, pack a healthy lunch to enjoy after your outdoor activity.
- Make more time for family dinners. In a survey conducted in the year 2000, researchers found that 9 to 14 year olds who ate dinner with their family are more likely to eat fruits and vegetables, as well as consume less fried foods and soda. These children also had more key nutrients in their diet – including calcium, fiber and iron.
- Quit making desserts a reward for your children for eating all of their veggies. ‘Bribe’ your picky eaters with something else – such as having a friend over. Researchers at Penn State University indicate that children who are bribed with dessert are harmed mentally and will build up a greater aversion to healthy foods in the long run.
- Take a family fitness class. Look for fitness facilities in your area that offer classes which allow parents and children to participate together. You can burn calories, learn something new and have fun all at the same time! Many facilities may offer yoga or aerobics classes for families.
- Keep your house cool. In order to rev up your family’s energy and help to ensure a good night’s sleep, researchers suggest keeping your house at around 19°.